To
help my audience visually understand keystone species, I made an infographic using Picktochart. I chose this
platform because there are many different types of keystone species, and I felt
that having them all on a poster was the best way to get information about the
species. An infographic let me give a digestible amount of information about a
variety of species, instead of a great deal of information about just one
specie. Focusing on a singular specie would not cover the global phenomenon that
are keystone species. This method of visualizations also allowed me to include videos
of different species.
The
images used in my infographic were selected to show the wide variety of
keystone species there are in the world. I have examples of predators,
herbivores, mutualists, animals, plants, and fungi. I chose species that were familiar
and pictures that were colorful and eye-catching to draw the audience in and
make them interested in the information. I made sure to use some well-known species
so viewers could use their background knowledge to relate to the poster. I also
included some species that the viewer might not have heard of before, so the
viewer would be able to add to their knowledge. Creating a visualization
allowed me to show a picture of the animal and its ecosystem, instead of just
using words.
Doing
this visualization deepened my understanding of keystone species by introducing
me to animal I did not know were so valuable to their ecosystem. In creating
the visualization and finding pictures of species I grew more connected to the
creatures, something reading about them alone would not have made me feel. I
cared about their plight, and want to ensure than them and their entire
ecosystem survive. Visually seeing the effects of the loss of a keystone deepens
the understanding of the importance of keystones in a way that text alone
cannot. Having images, like the one below showing the effect of the starfish keystone, really shows the impact of a loss in a way that cannot easily be
described in words. The videos were also helpful in showing the animals in
action. The videos were engaging and made the animals less abstract, helping
the view to relate.
I
have always thought that learning using visual aids was a good way to learn,
and this process has confirmed my thinking. As the saying goes, a picture is
worth 1000 words. To me, that is very true, especially when learning about
something as tangible as species. Viewers will already have background
knowledge of an organism, and will be able to connect with the images using
this prior information. The images will serve to deepen their knowledge. This
process has influenced by future teaching because I know how to make a good
visual representation, and I know how effective they are as a learning tool. I
will be able to use visualizations to deepen students’ understanding of key
concepts.
I was doing Coke and Mentos fountains with my 4/5th graders outside yesterday and during the end of the day we noticed a handful of honey bees wandering around the ground from all of the sugary soda. You of my kids wanted to kill it and started to raise his foot to step on it and I stopped him telling him it was a keystone species. He had no idea what that was but it was neat moment for me. Even though your infographic doesn't specifically say honey bees are one of these species I have forever linked that knowledge to you and your visualization project. Very nicely done infographic!
ReplyDelete